Millions of Americans suffer from chronic facial and neck pain as well as severe, recurring headaches. In some cases, this pain is due to Temporomandibular Disorder, also known as TMD.
Your temporomandibular joints, or TMJs, connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
This disease causes the following:
• Alteration of the position of the temporomandibular joint by placing excessive pressure on the joint and tissues around them.
• Twisting the jaw into a strained position, further affecting the muscles in the face, back, neck and shoulders.
Aesthetic Dentistry of Maple Glen use two methods to detect TMD and determine the appropriate solution: a TENS unit and the Myotronics K7. No one method of detection is best suited to every patient. We are pleased to be able to offer you options in all aspects of your dental care.
A TENS unit sends mild, electrical pulses into the muscles surrounding your jaw. This allows your jaw to fully relax so we can best determine its optimal position. In addition, the TENS unit was specifically designed to block pain signals from reaching your brain and can provide several hours of relief from the discomfort associated with TMD.
The Myotronics K7 is a state-of-the-art, entirely noninvasive advancement in detecting TMD. Using small sensors to track jaw movement, the Myotronics K7 provides us with a three-dimensional representation of your jaw positioning. This machine is lightweight, extremely effective, and allows you to move your head, and even talk during the process.
- Headaches or migraines
- Unexplained loose teeth
- Worn, chipped or cracked teeth
- Cracking, chipping or breaking dental restorations
- Pain or soreness around the jaw joints Pain in teeth that seems to move around
- Neck, shoulder or back pain Facial pain
- Clicking or grating sounds in the jaw joints; limited movement or locking jaw
- Numbness in your fingers and arms; Congestion or stuffiness of the ears
If you notice that you are experiencing any of these symptoms, let us know at your next appointment. Our Doctors help determine if you have TMD and create a customized treatment plan to help relieve your symptoms.
Aesthetic Dentistry of Maple Glen helps with TMD / TMJ Disorders in the following areas: Maple Glen PA, Horsham PA, Willow Grove PA, Ambler PA, Blue Bell PA, Ft. Washington PA, Spring House PA, Philadelphia Pa, Montgomery county, Bucks County and surrounding areas.